Saturday Oct 25, 2014

TD and Expedia Launch an Exclusive Online Travel Booking Website

25 October 2011

Expedia and TD have announced an exclusive new relationship that brings together two strong brands in online travel experience and customer service. This new partnership will grand TD Canada Trust credit exclusive access to an online portal – this is an exclusive portal for Expedia and TD to book, purchase and redeem travel with their credit cards, points or a combination of both.

This is a winning combination; it will bring Expedia’s expertise in online flight, hotel, vacation packages and more TD travel cardholders.

Through the new travel websites, TD travel cardholders will be able to book travel online or by phone.

What is the new Travel website?

The new website is accessible via www.tdrewards.com/expediafortd and is available to TD First Class Travel, Platinum Travel, Classic Travel and Business Travel Visa cardholders. These cardholders will be able to enjoy online flexibility, convenience and value when booking travel through the new site, combined with the ability to earn and redeem TD Points.

As you can see below TD and Expedia have created a great website for cardholders to use. It is similar to Expedia’s personal website, however the difference is your TD credit card is listed at the top with the amount of points you hold and the value they hold in terms of cash.

Expedia for TD Screen Shot of Homepage TD and Expedia Launch an Exclusive Online Travel Booking Website

Expedia for TD Screen Shot of Flight Details page TD and Expedia Launch an Exclusive Online Travel Booking Website

What I love is how easy it is to redeem points when paying for your travel. You simply select the amount of points you want to use and go from there. If you do redeem points, then your credit card will be credited the respective amount for the trip in 3-5 days.

Expedia for TD Screen Shot of Payment page TD and Expedia Launch an Exclusive Online Travel Booking Website

Expedia for TD Screen Shot of Payment with Points page TD and Expedia Launch an Exclusive Online Travel Booking Website

What can I benefit from having this service?

TD Canada Trust travel credit cardholders will be able to benefit from having access to dedicated, knowledgeable Expedia for TD representatives 24/7, not to mention from one of the best value propositions in travel rewards credit cards in Canada.

To see how you can earn, I have compiled data into a table below:

Points Earned for Travel and Other Purchases
Screen shot 2011 10 25 at 11.49.33 AM TD and Expedia Launch an Exclusive Online Travel Booking WebsiteTD First Class
Travel Visa
Infinite CardScreen shot 2011 10 25 at 11.50.36 AM TD and Expedia Launch an Exclusive Online Travel Booking WebsiteTD Platinum
 Travel Visa
 CardScreen shot 2011 10 25 at 11.50.49 AM TD and Expedia Launch an Exclusive Online Travel Booking WebsiteTD Classic
 Travel Visa
 CardScreen shot 2011 10 25 at 11.50.57 AM TD and Expedia Launch an Exclusive Online Travel Booking WebsiteTD Business
 Travel Visa

for every $1
in purchases2 TD Points
for every $1
in purchases6 TD Points
 for every $1
in purchases

This new website is a great tool for TD cardholders and I for one love what I am seeing. Hopefully, this new website will make it easier for TD cardholders to book their travel and redeem their points accordingly.

What do you think of the partnership?

diapen Wrote:

so now we cannot book trips to Cuba with my travel TD points as this is a US owned expedia. com

not good for TD CANADA trust. no trust there , no CANADA anymore. just taking an american firm to do your on line business.

not happy at all, all the points I was saving to get to CUBA on my TD platinum travel VISA.

Visitor Wrote:

Diapen,
You can still book your Cuba vacation with your points……but you will have to book with other agencies, and then call TD rewards to redeem the points. see lower half of the page:
You can basically redeem your points anytime.

This Expedia thing will just mean if you want to book Cuba and pay with your card to get the 9 points per dollar…you won’t be able to do that anymore.

Thomas O Wrote:

Working with Expedia limits the choices of where I can shop … if I want to take full advantage of the cards potential. My preference would be to have the same number of points available no matter where I shop.

I have nearly 400,000 points and that means about 2,000 credit. Consider how much I have spent and the return value …. I am moving to a new a different travel card where the restrictions of points is much, much less….

Sandra Melnik Wrote:

Unfortunately, this choice of Expedia is very limiting. While booking with Expedia, Air Canada flights are more expensive than going direct. Expedia limits the choice of which “type” of ticket you may purchase. You must use the Upgraded ticket to book through Expedia, in my case, this was a $500 premium for two people. I am forced to shop now for a card with less restrictions on travel. Not a good choice TD Visa…

That is the first time I have heard of this. It is a shame that you have to pay more money to to use the airline you want, when this service is meant to save you money and time.

Nancy McCormack Wrote:

This is the worst service and worst mistake TD has made!!! On hold for 1 1/2 hours now. It’s taken a non-English speaking person 1/2 hour to figure out how to handle a credit. I may be lucky and get the correct flights booked. TD, your reputation is going down fast!

Sorry to hear you had to wait on hold for so long. Were you able to get your flight booked?

CAV Wrote:

I am also extremely disappointed in this partnership. Expedia is often more expensive than other travel sites, it encourages using US border airports, tends to have US-centric search results and travel deals, and it doesn’t advertise seat sales from airlines. I also find that the search results of other travel sites will list smaller country airlines like FinnAir that are often cheaper while Expedia lists have mainly Canadian/US airlines. The restriction of Cuba travel is just plain silly – why didn’t TD partner with a reputable CANADIAN travel company or non-US based international travel company like Flight Centre? Getting only 6 points instead of 9 for booking through the TD reward Centre feels like punishment for booking Cuba and, when you’re an independent traveller like me, the online booking tools of Expedia simply don’t cut it because they don’t offer the flexibility in booking open-jaw flights or extended stop-overs. And despite this online deficiency, to call Expedia or the TD Reward Centre for assistance on these complex plans means I’m getting only 6 points instead of 9. Getting punished for not being a “mainstream” consumer certainly doesn’t feel very good!
Finally, I also travel a lot for work and I have to book the hotels myself on my cc. These bookings can be weeks to months long and the hold policy of hotels in North America often means that my cc gets charged for the actual cost of my stay at check out sometimes several days before the “deposit/hold” is taken off – meaning my card is temporarily double charged – and that’s some serious coin when I’m on an extended trip! And, for work trips, I can only book hotels on the government rate. Prior to the partnership with Expedia, I used to call the reward centre and request the government rate on hotels and, because the full cost of the hotel is immediately charged, I avoid the temporary double charge from the hotel (and have quicker check-outs). Also, because the online site was too limited to allow a gov rate, the Reward Centre would still give me 9 points for booking. Now, Expedia won’t give me any hotel rates but their own so I can’t book any work trips through them, online or otherwise, and I won’t book my complex itineraries through them because comparison shopping tells me I’m even more so getting ripped off by their prices when I’m booking outside the mainstream (plus I’m forced to get only 6 pts instead of 9). Finally, I get hassles from the Travel Reward rep when I tried to book through them – the rep had to seek permission from her supervisor to book the gov rate hotel for me and they made it seem like they were doing me a big favour!
Very unhappy! Considering switching to a cash-back card and setting up my own “travel rewards” saving account. I’ve contact TD regarding these issues and the only solution they’ve offered is to waive my annual fee for 1 yr in order to keep my business…. Wow (sarcasm)! Expedia for TD is a fine service if you’re travelling to Orlando or on a packaged tour to Mexico for a week along with all the Americans that Expedia is really catering to.

C V Wrote:

Marcel Ayeko Wrote:

I am utterly appalled. By the standard of service , namely waiting time for someone to pick up and answer the call which I had to make to return their urgent call. It is Sunday exactly 5:00PM and I have been put on hold for exactly 1 hr 56 minutes and 14 seconds and still waiting.

This makes it even worst as this is the follow up to yesterday call. I was put on hold for 47 minutes then; I thought that was bad.

Absolutely unacceptable. This will be my first and last business with Expedia .

Leah Wrote:

I have been on hold now for almost an hour. This is ridiculous.